Department of History of Samarkand Civilization
Head of Department of History of Samarkand Civilization
Ravshanov Sherbek Tursunkulovich
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Historical Sciences. Since 2021 he has been working at the Department of History of Samarkand Civilization of Samarkand State University. In 2022 he successfully defended his doctoral thesis on "The Social History of the Resettlement of the Russian Empire in Turkestan (late 19th century - 1917)".
To date Sherbek Ravshanov has published 1 monograph, more than 30 scientific articles in prestigious international journals and local editions.
Staff of Department of History of Samarkand Civilization
Iriskulov Olimjon Jahongirovich
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Historical Sciences, Associate Professor. He successfully defended his PhD thesis on "Socio-economic and cultural processes in Samarkand in the second half of the 19th century and early 20th century".
To date, Olimjon Iriskulov is the author of 1 monograph, 2 textbooks and 4 manuals. He has also published more than 60 scientific articles in journals and local editions included in Scopus, Web of Science and other prestigious international databases.
Mukhiddinov Sunnatullo Inoyatovich
Sunnatullo Mukhiddinov - Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in History, in 2020 successfully defended his thesis on "Education of Samarkand region in the second half of the 19th century - early 20th century". To date, he is the author of 1 monograph, 2 textbooks and 2 methodological manuals. He has also published more than 50 scientific articles in journals and local editions included in Scopus, Web of Science and other prestigious international databases.
Yakubova Mukhtaram Bakaevna
Assistant at the Department of the History of Civilization of Samarkand. Since 2021 she has been working at the Department of the History of Civilization of Samarkand, Faculty of History, Samara State University. She conducts research on the themes "The History of Samarkand in Western Historiography", "The History of Central Asia in German-German Studies".
Mukhtaram Yakubova has published 5 monographs, 1 textbook and more than 40 scientific articles in prestigious international and local journals.
Khasanov Murоd Gaibullaevich
Assistant at the Department of History of Samarkand Civilization. Since 2021 he has been working at the Department of History of Samarkand Civilization, Faculty of History, Samara State University. He conducts scientific research on "The socio-economic and cultural life of the Bukhara Emirate in the second half of the 18th century and the middle of the 19th century".
Ungalov Azizbek Amriddinovich
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Historical Sciences. He defended his PhD thesis on "Establishment of the Arab Caliphate in Movarounnahr (715-751)".
Azizbek Ungalov is the author of more than 10 test manuals, 3 special auxiliary manuals. He has published about 20 scientific articles in Uzbek and foreign journals.
About Department of History of Samarkand Civilization
The Department of the History of Civilization of Samarkand was founded in 2021. A number of countries around the world have cities that are famous for their significance and popularity in the historical and cultural development of mankind. Along with Western and Eastern cities such as Athens, Rome, Paris, Baghdad, Damascus, Samarkand has always been revered and mentioned in the sources under different names. The place of Samarkand in the history of world cultural development is incomparable, and in 2001 it was included by UNESCO in the list of the world cultural heritage as "Samarkand - the crossroads of cultures". The city of Samarkand celebrated its 2750th anniversary on 25 August 2007.
Samarkand's participation in the World Tourist Cities Federation (WTCF) in 2019 indicates that it will become a world center of tourism in the future. Samarkand is considered one of the 50 cities of the world to visit, and only Samarkand of the CIS countries has been recognized as worthy of this list.
Nowadays, the international interest to the history, culture and contemporary life of this ancient city increases with every year. The issues of historical and cultural development of Samarqand are studied in the form of special projects in a number of leading scientific centers of the world, UNESCO, ILO, Oxford, Sorbonne, Bologna, Vienna, Ottawa, universities and institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences. From this point of view, the opening of the "History of Samarkand Civilization" department at Samarkand State University located in the city has opened a new page in Samarkand Studies. The study of each historical period in the city of Samarqand has great scientific and practical importance.
The goal of the department is an objective comprehensive coverage of the history of Samarkand, the study and further study of sources in the form of manuscripts and lithographs that have not been included in scientific circulation. It is also planned to create a catalog of all research and literature on the history of Samarkand, conducted in foreign scientific centers. The purpose of the department is to study the formation and development of the national statehood of Uzbekistan, to strengthen the mechanisms for its integration with science, education and other social spheres, to form young people with deep knowledge about the history of Samarkand.
Tasks of the Department of the History of Civilization of Samarkand:
-Organization of the collection of sources and literature by the staff of the department related to the history of Samarkand;
- Working with historical sources, comprehensive study of samples of historical and cultural heritage, promotion of the incomparable contribution of great scientists and thinkers to the development of world science and civilization, education of our compatriots, especially the younger generation;
- Study of the life and work of Samarkand scientists in the Middle Ages, the place and position of Samarkand in the first and second periods of the Eastern Renaissance;
- Organization of fundamental, practical and innovative research on the history of Samarkand, implementation of their results, cooperation with scientific organizations of foreign countries and international foundations, systematic study of the history of Samarkand in close connection with global and regional learning processes;
- Development and implementation of modern educational technologies in the educational process, improvement of the content and teaching methods, organization of the educational process based on questions and questionnaires of students;
- Ensuring constant improvement in the quality of teaching, providing a virtual educational environment for students to master subjects outside of traditional education, raising the intellectual, educational and research level of young people, personal development of students, development of spiritual and moral potential;
- Implementation of systemic activities aimed at studying modern foreign scientific literature on the history of Samarkand, establishing cooperation with local and foreign scientists involved in the history of Samarkand and conducting research, ensure the teaching of desired subjects by local and foreign scientists who are experts in this field;
- Development of a map of historical places in order to create an idea of the great historical figures and events of Samarkand, preparation of popular science brochures and manuals about historical places, people and objects;
- Creation of an Internet portal (website) "Samarkand civilization" in cooperation with relevant departments in order to present Uzbekistan to the world by highlighting its place in the world civilization in various directions of the history of Samarkand, the regional television and radio company and the TV channel of the history of Uzbekistan preparing a series of programs on the history of Samarkand;
- Together with the State Committee for Tourism Development, develop information albums and catalogs, guides, maps of places, handouts and promotional materials containing brief information about the history, ethnography, gastronomy, national costumes, cultural heritage sites and historical monuments of Samarkand;
- Studying the history and culture of peoples, diasporas living in Samarkand, as well as modern interethnic tolerance and tolerance, given that Samarkand has long been a multinational territory;
- Study of the new history of Samarkand, analysis of problems and achievements;
Currently, Professor Florian Schwartz, Director of the Institute of Iranian Studies and Central Asian Studies of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Associate Professor of the Samarkand Institute of Foreign Languages M. Khandamova and Researcher at the Manuscripts Department of the Imam Bukhari International Research Center I.T. Daurbekov conduct joint research at the Department of the History of Civilization of Samarkand.
Members of the department maintain close ties with scientists from NUUz, FarSU, AnSU, Tashkent State University, GulSU, BuhSU, KarSU, TerSU, Navoi and Jizzakh universities and other higher educational institutions of the republic, the Institute of History and Archeology of the Academy of Sciences of Uzbekistan, Oxford University in England, Harvard University in the USA, Universities of Berlin and Humboldt in Germany, Universities of Vienna (Austria), Universities of Marmara, Istanbul, Ankara in Turkey, a number of universities in Russia and CIS countries.
Professors and teachers of the department give lectures on the history of Samarkand civilization for students of all faculties of the university and conduct seminars directly in the historical monuments of our city. The Faculty of History has developed 11 specialized disciplines and special courses for students specializing in the history of Samarkand. An electronic textbook, study guide, text of lectures, teaching aids and instructions are created for students. Leading specialists of the republic and abroad are invited to give lectures. Professors and teachers of the department provide methodological assistance to districts, other higher educational institutions and secondary specialized educational institutions, general university teams and other organizations on the history of Samarkand.
Since 2021, the scientific center "History of Samarkand" has been operating at the department. There is also a student scientific circle "History of Samarkand".
Today, the department is conducting research work within the framework of the topic "Historical analysis of the history and source studies of Samarkand (2021-2025)".
Educational disciplines taught at the department
Photos from the life of the department